[R] R Source Code Request Office For National Statistics UK

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Dec 23 09:36:17 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM, David Samuel
<david.samuel at ons.gsi.gov.uk> wrote:
> To R Support Team,

> Could you please let me know if ONS would be allowed to view your
> software's source code?

 If proof was ever needed that people don't read software license
agreements, this is it.

 Is there a license that forces you to read the source code before
using the software? I'd license my stuff under that:

THE BAZ PUBLIC LICENSE (hereinafter the BPL)

Under the terms of the BPL you MUST first read all source code and get
a pretty good understanding of what it all does before using THE
SOFTWARE. You MUST report bugs or problems to THE AUTHOR but you MUST
NOT expect them to be fixed. You MUST fix them YOURSELF if you think
you may be technically capable or if YOU think YOU are a better
programmer than THE AUTHOR. Otherwise YOU must SHUT UP.

Barry (hereinbefore Baz)