[R] R Source Code Request Office For National Statistics UK

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Dec 21 14:29:29 CET 2011

On Dec 21, 2011, at 7:06 AM, David Samuel wrote:

> To R Support Team,
>
> ONS would like a restricted number of its IT staff to view the source code
> for the latest version of your software, to check it against our source
> code security guidelines.The source code will be securely stored with
> access limited.
>
> ONS is quite happy to agree that we would not
> - copy or change your source code without your agreement
> - share the source code with anyone outside ONS
> - communicate the knowledge we acquire to anyone outside of ONS
> - infringe your intellectual property rights in any way.
>
> If there are any other conditions you would like to apply we are very
> happy to discuss them.
>
> Could you please let me know if ONS would be allowed to view your
> software's source code?
>
> I would appreciate if you could reply at your earliest convenience.
>
> Regards,
> David Samuel

David,

R is open source software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software), so there is no need to restrict access to the source code, unlike with proprietary applications (eg. SAS). Anyone can download and view it.

The latest stable release version of the code is available in a tarball at:

  http://cran.r-project.org/

under the "Source Code for all Platforms" section.

Enjoy.

Marc Schwartz