[R] Help for R parallelization

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Dec 17 17:27:52 CET 2011

Alvaro,

On 17 December 2011 at 12:23, Alvaro Jose Abackerli wrote:
| Dear Sir/Madam,
|
| I am a Brazilian researcher working in São Paulo – Brazil. I’ve being using R-software for many years with my students in some engineering applications, but up to now we've being using only in stand-alone mode in Windows and Mac platforms.
|
| Right now I have available a multi-core system and I would like to test some parallelism capabilities of R, mainly as an incentive to the use free software in my organization (www.ipt.br<http://www.ipt.br>). There is also a secondary goal to move from commercial statistical software through the demonstration of a new performance by using our multi-core system with R.
|
| Unfortunately, as a Mechanical engineer and a “basic” R-user I couldn’t get the “road map” I need from the available information , even after reading the attached paper.

You just spammed thousands of list subscribers with a (large) pdf copy of a
paper freely available at the electronic journal which published it (and
which many readers may have been aware of already).  While as a co-author of
said paper I am somewhat flattered and thrilled by the added visibility, I
still feel you were going about this the wrong way.

There is a dedicated mailing list r-sig-hpc for questions related to
high-performance computing which frequently features discussions related to
'how do I ...' for parallel computing with R.

There are also various sets of slides, papers, tutorials, ... on the web; eg
I have slides from several 'intro to hpc' tutorials on my site.  And with R
2.14.0, you have a new package 'parallel' with its own intro vignette.  I
suggest you start there and direct follow-up questions to r-sig-hpc (where
you need to subscribe to post).

Regards,  Dirk

| Therefore, I am making this contact to check whether I could get some help from R-community to set as many R packages in our multi-core system as possible.
|
| The remote access to our system would be easily arranged after a guided selection of the best strategy to reach our goals.
|
| I would appreciate to hear from you and I thank you in advance.
|
| Best Regards
| [http://www.ipt.br/banco_imagens/318_maior.jpg]
|
| Dr. Alvaro J Abackerli
| Chief Operations Officer - COO