[R] R - Linux_SSH

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 18:55:01 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 4:35 AM, Chris Mcowen <chrismcowen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List,
>

> I am unsure if this is the correct list to post to, if it isn't I apologise.
>

> I am using SSH to access a Linux version of R on a remote computer as it
> offers more memory and processing power. The model will take 1-2 days to
> run, I am accessing R through Putty and when I close the connection and open
> R again, I am faced with a new session.
>

> As a Linux newbie, I was wondering if anybody here knew how to keep R
> running and interactive and return to it on a later date?

I am not aware of any way to keep the R session interactive although
perhaps a VNC server/client may offer this possibility. If you have a
long calculation, put it all in a script named myScript.R (or any
other file name) that does not require any human input, then run it as
a batch using the nohup linux command:

nohup R CMD BATCH myScript.R

The nohup command will prevent the termination of your R after you log
out, but you cannot run an interactive program this way.

HTH

Peter