[R] args() function does not list function prototype for locally-produced/installed R package

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 23:49:08 CET 2011

On 11-12-05 3:04 PM, Rick Reeves wrote:
 > Greetings:
 >
 > I have check the 'Building R Extensions' manual and can find no advice
 > on this issue,
 > so I am asking --
 >
 > I have created an R package consisting entirely of R source code, and
 > created an installer
 > using the R CMD build / R CMD check commands. The package installs
 > correctly, using
 > R CMD install, and the .Rd files for each function (one function per .R
 > / .Rd file) are visible
 > using the '?function' command. However, the 'args(function)' command
 > does not list the
 > function prototype; instead generating the error:
 >
 > Error in args(function) : object "function" not found.
 >
 > Question: If it is possible, what changes do I make to my package and
 > install process to get
 > args() to display the function prototype(s) for the functions in my
 > local package?

Is the function visible (e.g., if you type the name of the function,
does it print)?  I would guess not:  I think you have a NAMESPACE file,
and you haven't listed this function in it.

If you don't have a NAMESPACE file, or you do have one and you list this
function, then I think you need to be more forthcoming with accurate
information.  When I type args(function), I don't get the error you get,
since "function" is a reserved word:

 > args(function)
Error: unexpected ')' in "args(function)"

Duncan Murdoch

Duncan Murdoch