[R] args() function does not list function prototype for locally-produced/installed R package

Rick Reeves rcreeves at west.net
Mon Dec 5 21:04:51 CET 2011

Greetings:

I have check the 'Building R Extensions' manual and can find no advice
on this issue,
so I am asking --

I have created an R package consisting entirely of R source code, and
created an installer
using the R CMD build / R CMD check commands. The package installs
correctly, using
R CMD install, and the .Rd files for each function (one function per .R
/ .Rd file) are visible
using the '?function' command. However, the 'args(function)' command
does not list the
function prototype; instead generating the error:

Error in args(function) : object "function" not found.

Question: If it is possible, what changes do I make to my package and
install process to get
args() to display the function prototype(s) for the functions in my
local package?

Thanks,
Rick Reeves