[R] matrix of higher order differences

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:58:43 CEST 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 21:34 , Ravi Varadhan wrote:

> My apologies in advance for being a bit off-topic, but I could not quell my curiosity.
>
> What might one do with a matrix of all order finite differences?  It seems that such a matrix might be related to the Wronskian (its discrete analogue, perhaps).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wronskian

Not quite, I think. This is one function at different values of x, the Wronskian is about n different functions.

Tables of higher-order differences were used fundamentally for interpolation and error detection in tables of function values (remember those?), but rarely computed to the full extent - usually only until the effects of truncation set in and the differences start alternating in sign.