[R] RODBC excel - need to preserve (or extract) numeric column names

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 16:10:31 CEST 2011

On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:53 AM, Enrico Schumann wrote:

> At least for Excel 2003 on my computer (Win XP) I can "persuade"
> Excel to
> treat cells like text by prepending a ' to the entry (eg, '1000). Then
> sqlFetch/RODBC should import these cells as character. [But a number
> would
> not be valid column name for a data.frame, and you may run into other
> trouble. See ?make.names]

If the problem is that Excel is failing to treat cells as text, then
you could also try selecting the cells, then using the Format/Cells
panel to specify "Text" rather than "General". But as I suggested
before, I suspect the problem is you effort to defeat the usual
checking for valid R names.

--
David.