[R] RODBC excel - need to preserve (or extract) numeric column names

Enrico Schumann enricoschumann at yahoo.de
Tue Apr 5 10:53:35 CEST 2011

At least for Excel 2003 on my computer (Win XP) I can "persuade" Excel to
treat cells like text by prepending a ' to the entry (eg, '1000). Then
sqlFetch/RODBC should import these cells as character. [But a number would
not be valid column name for a data.frame, and you may run into other
trouble. See ?make.names]

regards,
enrico