[R] max length of a factor variable

Richard Mott rmott at well.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 11:15:10 CEST 2010

Hi

Is there a maximum length for the character string representing a level
of a factor?  I have a set of several million variables, each a factor
of length 19. Each factor level is a character string which in some
cases can be many thousands of characters long.  I am trying to find out
why my analysis fails - I just wanted to rule out the possibility that
the internal factor conversion has a problem parsing long strings.

Thanks

Richard