[R] Fitting with error on data

Maayt m.lupker at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:55:13 CEST 2010

As this forum proved to be very helpful, I got another question...
I'd like to fit data points on which I have an error, dx and dy, on each x
and y. What would be the common procedure to fit this data by a linear model
taking into account uncertainty on each point? Would weighting each point by
1/sqrt(dx2+dy2) (and taking dx and dy as relative errors) in a lm() fit do
the job? I would like to propagate uncertainty of the points into the
uncertainty of the fit, would that be the case?

Thanks for all the help