[R] Error: cannot allocate vector of size X.0 Mb

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Sep 14 21:15:17 CEST 2010

On 09/14/2010 08:02 AM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2010, at 9:47 AM, John1983 wrote:
>

>> Yes I see. So I typed as you mentioned and I get an 8 (therefore
>> this is a 64-bit R).
>>
>> Is there anything else I need to check to remove this error?
>

> 1. Add more RAM.
>
> 2. Depending upon what you are doing relative to data
> management/analysis, you might want to see if there are more
> efficient approaches.
>
> 3. Free up RAM that may be in use by other processes, etc.
>
> 4. Look at R packages such as biglm, ff/bit, biganalytics, etc.
>
> 5. Consider using a backend data base application (eg. MySQL,
> Postgres, etc.) to manage the data sets and use R only for analyses,
> as may be appropriate relative to splitting the tasks.
>

> You did not indicate just how much RAM you have on the machine in
> question, but if it is within your budget/capability, adding more RAM
> would be the most transparent approach.

Before spending the big bucks you might try asking on the Bioconductor
mailing list

home of the Biostrings package and BStringSet, andwhere for instance the
ShortRead package readFastq would be a natural way of parsing your FASTQ
file, and most operations you'd likely perform on a fastq file (given
sufficient memory) would take more than a few (tens of, at the most)
seconds.

Martin