[R] How to run R on Emacs+ESS

Tue Sep 7 08:16:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
>> Actually, for that to work, the path for your R executable needs to be
>> in emacs' exec-path:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ExecPath
>
> appending the /sw/bin directory to the exec-path and PATH variables (useful for
> Mac OS X users running LaTeX):
> (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") ":/sw/bin"))
> (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/sw/bin")))
>

> On which file shall I add above command lines?
>
> On terminal running;
> $ which R
> /usr/bin/R
>
> Whether replace /sw/bin with /usr/bin

The info on that page is just an example. I didn't mean for you to do
just do what it says there w/o thinking about it :-)

I suspect that /usr/bin is already in your exec-path. To find out, type:
ctrl-h v

You should see "Describe variable" in your minibuffer, where you would
type "exec-path" (no quotes). A buffer will open showing you the
contents of this variable -- I think you'll find /usr/bin there.

> Or run above 2 lines on terminal?  TIA

No.

--
Steve Lianoglou