[R] How to run R on Emacs+ESS

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 06:39:24 CEST 2010

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advice.

> Actually, for that to work, the path for your R executable needs to be
> in emacs' exec-path:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ExecPath

appending the /sw/bin directory to the exec-path and PATH variables (useful for
Mac OS X users running LaTeX):
(setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") ":/sw/bin"))
(setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/sw/bin")))

On which file shall I add above command lines?

On terminal running;
$ which R
/usr/bin/R

Whether replace /sw/bin with /usr/bin

Or run above 2 lines on terminal?  TIA

> I believe the latest version is 5.11 -- you might want to try that.
If fail I'll remove the running Emacs and ESS and reinstall version 5.11

B.R.
Stepheh L