[R] S: appropriate significance tests

soeren.vogel at eawag.ch soeren.vogel at eawag.ch
Wed Oct 20 21:17:31 CEST 2010

Thanks Greg for the additional remarks. Basically I have two questions, let me try to specify them as follows:

(1) Height and intelligence may correlate at, say, X, but speed and finger length may correlate at Y. Despite any sense of such a statement, is X significantly larger than Y? How can I perform this significance test (of two correlation coefficients) if I don't have the original data, but only the correlation coefficients, the degrees of freedom and the standard errors?

(2) Let's assume I've studied whether height (as independent) has an influence on (a, regression 1) intelligence and (b, regression 2) speed. Suppose I found out that my linear regression between intelligence and height, (1), reveals a standardised estimate of .6 for height, while for the regression between speed and height, (2), reveals an estimate of .65 for height. Is the estimate for height in regression 1 significantly higher than that for height in regression 2?