[R] R on a ma c

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 19:06:14 CEST 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Tiffany Kinder wrote:

> Hello,
> Is R very compatible with a Mac?

Very compatible. I have been using it as my work machine for the last
2.75 years and several of the regular contributors to rhelp are also
running Macs. Rock-solid. Better memory management than Windows XP or
Vista. Simon Urbanek (and his collaborators) deserves a huge amount of
thanks for the fine work he has done.

The R-Mac SIG is the place for mac-specific question, though:

> A colleague of mine indicated that
> everyone he knows with a Mac has problems with R.

He needs more sophisticated friends :-)

> What can you tell me about using R with a Mac.  What do I need to
> download?

There is a section in the installation document:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Installing-R-under-Mac-OS-X

> I have downloaded the basic R package.

That is not exactly specific enough to advise whether you got the
correct bundle for your machine. Be sure to read the installation
document carefully. No shortcuts.

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Tiffany Kinder