[R] Find in R and R books

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Tue Nov 23 03:20:35 CET 2010

Hi, Mike, et al.:

<in line>

On 11/22/2010 5:43 PM, Mike Marchywka wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:28:57 -0800
>> From: spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
>> To: gwo at well.ox.ac.uk
>> CC: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
>> Subject: Re: [R] Find in R and R books
>>
>> Other people like R Site Search
>> (http://search.r-project.org/nmz.html), which is available via the
>> standard R function "RSiteSearch".
>>

>> For me, the fastest literature search on virtually anything
>> statistical is the "findFn" function in the "sos" package.
>> (Disclaimer: I'm the lead author of that package, so I may be biased.)
>> "findFn" sorts search results to put the package with the most matches
>> first. The print method opens a table of the results in a web browser
> Again, I have in past taken docs for various things like R, rendered
> html to text and used things like grep and built my own indicies.
> However, your facility does seem in that line of thought.
>
> Personally I haven't had a problem with google scholar or
> probably even citeseer would return good hits, R is not
> a common english word so I think google can make use of it.

Thanks for this.

For me, anything that mixes math with worked examples is vastly superior
to either alone, because I no longer have to puzzle sometimes for hours
over a single line or page of mathematics:  I can try a variety of
examples and walk through the code line by line until I understand.  In
that way, I find R packages much more intelligible than theoretical
treatises.  This is especially true when the R package comes with a
vignette or companion documentation with script files working the
examples (e.g., like the "scripts" subdirectories for "nmle" and "fda").

Spencer