[R] Find in R and R books

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Tue Nov 23 02:28:57 CET 2010

       Other people like R Site Search
(http://search.r-project.org/nmz.html), which is available via the
standard R function "RSiteSearch".

       For me, the fastest literature search on virtually anything
statistical is the "findFn" function in the "sos" package.
(Disclaimer:  I'm the lead author of that package, so I may be biased.)
"findFn" sorts search results to put the package with the most matches
first.  The print method opens a table of the results in a web browser
with hot links to the individual matches.  "sos" comes with a vignette,
which includes an example of the "writeFindFn2xls" function.  This
writes a "findFn" object to an Excel file with two sheets:  The second
is all the matches found.  The first is a summary of the packages found
with extra information not available via RSiteSearch.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer