[R] truncate integers

T.D. Rudolph tylerdeanrudolph at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 18:34:23 CET 2010

Is there any really easy way to truncate integers with several consecutive
digits without rounding and without converting from numeric to character
(using strsplit, etc.)??  Something along these lines:

e.g. = 456

truncfun(e.g., location=1)
= 4

truncfun(e.g., location=1:2)
= 45

truncfun(e.g., location=2:3)
= 56

truncfun(e.g., location=3)
= 6

It's one thing using floor(x/100) to get 4 or floor(x/10) to get 45, but I'd
like to return only 5 or only 6, for example, in cases where I don't know
what the numbers are going to be.

I'm sure there is something very logical that I am missing, but my code is
getting too complicated and I can't seem to find a parsimonious solution.

Tyler