[R] What is the best way to have "R" output tables in an MS Word format? (shaping R core)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri May 7 12:24:03 CEST 2010

chrishold at psyctc.org wrote:
> I've changed the subject line a bit here as Max is asking such a
> fundamental question.
>
> Max Kuhn sent the following  at 01/05/2010 19:22:
>
>> Chris,

>> Why is it R Core's job to fulfill your wants and desires? I have a
>> hard time thinking that very busy people would spend extra time doing
>> something that they may or may not have a direct need for. Write it
>> yourself or get a group of people together to do it. That what we did
>> with odfWeave (for better or worse). If the task is beyond what you
>> feel you can do, fund it.
>>

> Ouch.  OK. I'm hugely grateful for your work on odfWeave Max and sorry
> that Open Office isn't a solution for me at the moment.  However, I
> don't think I'm being unreasonable or selfish.
>
> 1) Certainbly it's not R core's job to fulfil my wants and desires and
> they will have ways to discuss what would strengthen R for lots of us.
> Clearly I can submit a wishlist item to the R bugzilla and I should but
> that's very particulate: how can the team find out of wishes are common
> or would help increase use of R?
>
> There are files of key R core team members' wish lists on the R site but
> almost none relate in any way to output and some appear to be years old.
> I've worked with R (about 14 years I think) and as I look particularly
> at the recent release notes, I see a lot of work went into changing the
> help system which is one sort of output from R and a huge amount of work
> went into transitions in the object orientation (S3 to S4).  I think
> that what I am suggesting is about a core issue of seeing
> a set of object properties for numeric output as including insertion of
> tabs, ideally as providing flexible presenting and viewing of all
> matrices, data frames and lists, and, some day, cross linkage of
> graphics into output.  Ideally, as with the capacity of R to export its
> graphics in a number of formats, I'd love to see this capitalising on
> the work you have done for ODF and others have done for TeX etc.
>
> These strike me as central object handling issues, not things that
> should for ever be offloaded to the libraries/packages.

I don't think that because something is important it needs to be in the
part of R that R Core handles.  The things that need to be there are
things that can't be anywhere else.  Things that can be elsewhere should
be elsewhere, because the more that is in base R, the more time R Core
spends on maintenance, and the less time on development of base R or on
the other things we do (e.g. the things our employers pay us to do).

We don't always follow this rule:  in some cases, things that could be
elsewhere are in base R because an R Core member doesn't mind taking on
the maintenance, and it is easier to put them in base R than to create a
new package for them.  (Sweave is an example of this; there has been
talk of moving it out of the base, but that hasn't happened yet.)

But I don't think any members of R Core use any of those word processors
called MS Word, and I don't see any need for core support for producing
output for them.  R already produces structured objects with all the
semantics of XML objects (though it doesn't use that format to store
them); it is simply a matter of deciding what format you'd like things
to be displayed in, and then figuring out how to produce something in
that format in a way that MS Word will understand.  The first task is
definitely something within the range of an R user.  Getting it into
some version of .doc or .docx or whatever  is not at all easy, but it
really has very little to do with R.  It would make more sense to ask
Microsoft to handle that part than it makes to ask R Core to do it.

Duncan Murdoch

2) Do it myself: I wish! I'm a terrible programmer and work 50-70 hoursa
week in my main jobs (I'm so outspoken here at the moment partly