[R] What is the best way to have "R" output tables in an MS

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Fri May 7 10:09:29 CEST 2010

On 05/07/2010 06:07 AM, (Ted Harding) wrote:
> How about an R "device" called xml? This would implement the XML
> "extensible markup language" which is basically capable of
> encapsulating any formatted material.

Ted, this is perhaps a better idea than you think. Much of the latest
and greatest M$ stuff is based on ... XML! I am thinking of writing an
"xmlize" function for the prettyR package if I can satisfy myself that
nobody else has already done it better. I think one difficulty might lie
in getting chunks of XML to fit seamlessly into existing documents, but
as I worked out how to do this with Postscript, it can't be impossible
with XML. What we are up against is the ease with which rather ordinary,
vanilla output from something like SPSS can be copied and dropped into
something like MSWord. If we can make it that easy with XML...

Jim

PS I think that Gabor's effort with RTF is a hard act to follow.