[R] From THE R BOOK -> Warning: In eval(expr, envir, enclos) : non-integer #successes in a binomial glm!

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Tue Mar 30 19:17:28 CEST 2010

At 12:08 PM 3/30/2010, David Winsemius wrote:
><snip>
>I don't understand this perspective. You bought Crowley's book so he
>is in some minor sense in debt to you.  Why should you think it is
>more appropriate to send your message out to thousands of readers of
>r- help around the world (some of whom have written books that you did
>not buy) before sending Crowley a question about his text?

In fairness to Michael Crawley, whose books are useful and very clear
(although not well-liked on this list for some reason):

1. The "example" quoted by Corrado Topi is not an actual example.
Instead is an isolated line of code given to illustrate the
simplicity of glm() syntax and its relation to lm() syntax. This is
in a short general topic overview chapter on GLMs meant to introduce
concepts and terminology, not runnable code.

2. The "example" chapter is followed in the book by individual
chapters on each type of GLM covered (count data, count data in
tables, proportion data, binary response variables). If Corrado Topi
had looked in the relevant chapter, he would find numerous worked out
examples with runnable code.

Corrado Topi made an error in trying to run an isolated line of code
without antecedent definitions, which almost never works in any
programming system. Michael Crawley made a mistake in judgment in
assuming that detail later will suffice for generality now.

My advice to Corrado Topi is engage in some forward referencing, and
read chapters 16 and 17 before deciding which example code to run.

Robert A. LaBudde, PhD, PAS, Dpl. ACAFS  e-mail: ral at lcfltd.com
Least Cost Formulations, Ltd.            URL: http://lcfltd.com/
824 Timberlake Drive                     Tel: 757-467-0954
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-3239            Fax: 757-467-2947

"Vere scire est per causas scire"