[R] Calling R from c in Windows XP

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Mar 27 19:37:26 CET 2010

David,

On 27 March 2010 at 10:08, dkStevens wrote:
| Thanks for your prompt response. Apparently my problem is with my R or
| Windows setup. When I followed the advice in your return email, here's
| the result.

I will eat my hat. What you show I had too -- you need to define
the environment variable R_HOME which is used all over Makefile.win.  I have
this in there commented out:

       #R_HOME := 		$(shell R RHOME)

as I couldn't get it to work. [ I one used 'R CMD ...' one gets R_HOME for
free but not here. ]

So my bad and please re-try with R_HOME

| I've been an R user for a number of years and have
| installed/uninstalled several versions, plus I've installed MinGW,
| RTools, gcc/gfortran, and a number of R-related packages. I must have
| messed something up. Is there a pointer to the proper configuration?
| Today I reinstalled RInside and Rcpp before trying the make below.
| Thanks, and I'll be sure to post properly in the future. I didn't start
| at RInside, I started with 'how can I call R from a c program.

Sounds good.  As per my previous email you may run into segfaults on Windows
with the current version. Try backtracking to RInside 0.2.1 and Rcpp 0.7.1
(from the respective Archive/ sections on CRAN) which should work.  We could
then try to close the gap between those working versions and the current code
to see what upsets.  Or do what Romain and I do and stay on operating systems
that have a lower- or uppercase X in their name. ;-)

Sorry again for the earlier misinformation. I forgot this little detail.

Lastly, we really should move this to rcpp-devel ....

Dirk