[R] Calling R from c in Windows XP

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Mar 27 18:11:12 CET 2010

On 27 March 2010 at 11:50, Khanh Nguyen wrote:
| What examples are you talking about. You only need to include
| <RInside.h>... More information is here
| http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rinside.html

Khanh is quite correct: RInside is self-contained. It also doesn't get much
simpler than the examples we show.

| The other external thing you need is the Rcpp package, which you can
| do with install.packages('Rcpp')

It used to have a Suggests: on Rcpp but now has a Depends: on it. That said,
a few things:

   - David probably chose to ignore the big bold signs that tell him to use
     gcc (in the mingw implementation).  Insisting on visual whatever buys
     you nothing as R requires gcc and mingw. No ifs or buts. gcc/g++ it is.

   - We made a lot of changes between RInside 0.2.1 (which worked on Windows)
     and the current 0.2.2 for which the example build but then segfault. I
     suspect some initialization of static variables issue or something like
     it. I'd welcome debugging assistance from anyone with more interest in
     Windows than Romain and I have.

   - Again, a working example is provided by RInside 0.2.1, possibly coupled
     with a matching Rcpp release as e.g. 0.7.1

   - Other simpler examples are provided in the R sources under tests/Embedding

Dirk

--
  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!