[R] Constrained non linear regression using ML

Corrado ct529 at york.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 17:54:05 CET 2010

Dear Gabor, Arne, Ravi, R users,

I am firstly trying the maximum likelihood approach, then will try the
Bayesian approach.

The likelihood function, and the log likelihood function, will depend on
the pdf of the error e in the formula:

y=f(theta*x)+e

Now let's say that e is  Gaussian distributed, then I can use LS which
is the same as ML in this case, and the residuals would be distributed
Gaussian. Is that right?

If e is distributed differently (for example: beta, in the continuous
case,  or binomial, in the discrete case), then I am better off by using
Maximum Likelihood. How would the residual be distributed? Should they
not be distributed the same as e?

Best,

Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: ct529 at york.ac.uk