[R] Executable for Production Use

Stefan stefan.petersson at inizio.se
Mon Mar 8 22:13:51 CET 2010

Ma Ismail - NewYork-MEAG-NY <ima <at> meag-ny.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> A few of the developers on our Quant team are using R for data
calculation andto generate a resulting CSV file. They have R
installed on their workstations. We are interested in having this
deployed to user workstations where the users will not have R
installed on their workstations. Is there a way to create an
executable that the users can  just run without R installed on
their workstation?

> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Ismail Ma
> Head of IT Applications
> MEAG New York Corporation
> Telephone: (212) 583-4850
> Fax: (646) 521-7950
> E-Mail: ima <at> meag-ny.com<mailto:ima <at> meag-ny.com>

Maybe I've misunderstood You, but You can manage a single R
installation on a central server, and let clients hook up to
it from Emacs+ESS or Eclipse+StatET. I've used both solutions,
and they work like a charm... The emacs solution uses SSH and
Eclipse a Java server thingy.

Plz note that I'm from the Linux side of things. So my server
is a Debian, and my clients are all Ubuntu. I have no clue how
(or even if) these setups work on windows.