[R] Executable for Production Use

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Mar 8 20:46:40 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Ma Ismail - NewYork-MEAG-NY
<ima at meag-ny.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few of the developers on our Quant team are using R for data calculation and to generate a resulting CSV file.  They have R installed on their workstations.  We are interested in having this deployed to user workstations where the users will not have R installed on their workstations.  Is there a way to create an executable that the users can just run without R installed on their workstation?

 No, not for any meaningful value of the word 'installed'. If you want
to run R, you need the R interpreter and all the functions and stuff
it carries around with it.Maybe you could bundle this all up into one
monster executable, but why bother? R install is easy and portable
(stick it anywhere, it runs). Even probably a network share.

 Oh, you didn't say what OS you were using. Did you read the posting
guide? Also, this has been asked before. Did you search the mailing
lists?

 I've noticed a lot of financial corporates getting into R and getting
free help from R-help. From now on, I'm charging $50 per email to
answer questions from anyone advertising as a 'quant'. Who do I
invoice?

Barry