[R] Problem with package fpc

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat Mar 6 20:00:22 CET 2010

On 02.03.2010 11:01, Sarah Paul wrote:

>     I am trying to load package fpc in order to use the 'plotcluster' function
>     however everytime I attempt to do so I get the following warning message:
>

>     >  library(fpc)
>     Error: package 'MASS' could not be loaded

Your installation is broken. If you do not have MASS in one of your
libraries, you need to reinstall R.

>     In addition: Warning messages:
>     1: package 'fpc' was built under R version 2.9.2
>     2: In library(pkg, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE, lib.loc =
>     lib.loc) :
>       there is no package called 'MASS'

Which R version is this? If R < 2.9.2, you may want to upgrade your R
anyway.

If you have installed R-2.10.1, you may want to run

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE)

Best,
Uwe Ligges

>     I thought that MASS was one of the basic packages supplied with R but when I
>     look in the library I cannot find it.
>
>     However in windows programme documents under R there is a folder called
>     MASS.

That means you are actually under some Windows and there is MASS in your
library? Perhaps the installation is broken or you are looking into a
library that is not known to R or the MASS in that library is compiled
for a very different version of R.

Uwe