[R] ANOVA "Types" and Regression models: the same?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Mar 2 14:32:02 CET 2010

If memory serves, Bill Venables said in the paper cited several times
here, that there's only one type of sums of squares.  So there's only
one type of "ANOVA" (if I understand what you mean by ANOVA).

Just forget about the different types of tests, and simply ask yourself
this (hopefully simple and straight forward) question: Which pair of
models when compared will answer the question you have at hand?  It's
not sufficient to just ask: "Is factor X significant?"  It depends on
what else is in the model you're entertaining.

I think it's high time to retire the archaic concept of the different
types of sums of squares.  IMHO they are the biggest red herrings in
Statistics.

Best,
Andy

From: Ravi Kulkarni