[R] ANOVA "Types" and Regression models: the same?

Ravi Kulkarni ravi.kulk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 08:00:42 CET 2010

Hello,
  I think I am beginning to understand what is involved in the so-called
"Type-I, II, ..." ANOVAS (thanks to all the replies I got for yesterday's
post). I have a question that will help me (and others?) understand it
better (or remove a misunderstanding):
  I know that ANOVA is really a special case of regression where the
predictor variable is categorical. I know that there can be various types of
regression models commonly called "stepwise, add, remove...", where one
controls which predictors are added to the regression model and in what
order.
  Is this what the various "Types" of ANOVA correspond to? I mean that I
think of my ANOVA as a regression model (a General Linear Model) and the
various ways of entering predictors as the various ANOVA "Types".
  Hope that makes sense...

  Ravi Kulkarni