[R] questions on some operators in R

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Sat Jun 19 12:43:22 CEST 2010

Dear users,

Regarding the number of keystrokes, you guys should not forget that not
everybody has a QWERTY keyboard, and therefore the number of strokes
isn't the same for everybody. On an AZERTY keyboard (French), "<" is
written without pressing SHIFT, as is "=". On a QWERTZ (German) "="
requires SHIFT while "<" does not! And there are also differences with
Mac keyboards. So the argument of the number of keystrokes cannot be
used choose "<" over "=" or vice versa.

I'm still quite new to R (I started a few months ago), and I've learned
to use the "<-" assignment operator. I've directly found it intuitive
since the arrow really shows the direction of assignment. I also
had/have to train some students in my team and it looks to me that they
are less confused when they use "<-" to assign and "=" for arguments
within a function call. I think that when you learn, it's better to have
different operators for different things.

The problem might be more for people who used other programming
languages, where the assignment operators are different. But hey, there
are also people who start learning with R!!

I'll stick to "<-"    :)

Ivan

--
Ivan CALANDRA