[R] Unspecified [upper] xlim/ylim?

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 15 17:49:12 CEST 2010

Greetings!
I would like to be able to specify a fixed (say) lower limit
for plotting, while leaving the upper limit "floating, when
plotting. The context is that the maximum in the data to be
plotted is unpredictable, being the consequence of a simulation,
whereas I know that it cannot be less than (say) 0; and I want
to fix the lower limit at 0 in any plot, leaving the upper limit
to be assigned by plot() as a result of the computed values.

I know I can do this by determining the max() of the data, and
then computing a "Ymax" to put in (say) ylim = c(0,Ymax). However,
for certain reasons, I would prefer not to have to do this.
(And it's just a preference ... ).

Whereas one can leave the whole issue of setting both plotting
limits to plot(), by not specifying ylim (or xlim), or one can
explcitily specify both the upper and lower limits by (say)
ylim=c(Ymin,Ymax), there seems to be no way of fixing one and
leaving the other floating so that plot() would do its own thing.

ylim requires two numbers to be given. Things like ylim=c(0,)
or ylim=c(0,NA) would generate an error.

Am I chasing a phantom? Or is there a way?
ThanksTed.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 15-Jun-10                                       Time: 16:49:09