[R] Desolve package: How to pass thousand of parameters to C compiled code?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Jun 8 14:03:40 CEST 2010

 <cmmu_mile <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have used DeSolve package for my ODE problem regarding
> infectious disease transmission and currently am
> trying to pass lots (roughly a thousand) of model parameters
> to the C compiled model (I have to use C
> compiled code instead of R code purely because of the speed).
>
> I can't go define it one by one as it gonna take ages to finish
> and also quite difficult to revise. I have read
> the instructions in "Writing Code in Compiled Languages", which
> is very well written, but still have no
> clue on how to proceed.
>
> Please can anyone suggest the best way to go about this, and also the places
where I can find examples of
> DeSolve C compiled code.

  There's another example of compiled code in
http://www.jstatsoft.org/v33/i09/paper , but it probably
won't say anything the 'Writing Code' guide doesn't already
cover.  I found the guide pretty complete ...

  I would suggest that you pack your parameters into a single
numeric vector (or several, if that makes more sense) and pass
them that way.

  What kind of infectious disease data do you have that will
allow you to fit a model with thousands of parameters ... ??
(Just curious.)