[R] ordinal variables

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 12:24:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

If you look around a bit, there is some great material on the web
about the powers and quirks of R. I've taught myself most of what I
know from R through reading a lot and trying it out on the console.
The help list is also a darn fine source of efficient code for a set
of general problems.

It won't help any more this year, but I'm working on a guide for R to
bundle valuable information I got from the help list and the internet.
It should be ready in a couple of months, and it will be available for
all to use. In any case, Owen's guide is of great value for an
introduction to the command line and basic statistics:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Owen-TheRGuide.pdf

Also the introduction to R is a must-read for all our students :
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.pdf

Next to that, a couple of websites are great additional sources of code :
Quick-R, a guide for those who come over from SAS/SPSS/Stata. It
contains tons of examples for statistical analyses in about every
field. If you didn't know it yet, you'll love it for sure :
http://www.statmethods.net/

The R graph gallery, to show what exactly can be done with the
graphical power of R :
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/

The R Graphics gallery, doing the same :
http://research.stowers-institute.org/efg/R/

There's many more to be found, a whole community of users is
contributing to the information in various ways. We give the sources
mentioned here to our students, with the message that they should
never underestimate the power of Google.

Last but not least, there is a specific mailing list regarding
teaching statistics using R:

You might want to take a look at their archives as well.

Cheers
Joris