[R] MacOS X binary for lme4 not available on CRAN

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 1 12:29:39 CEST 2010

First, this is not the list to discuss MacOS X binaries: that is
R-sig-mac.

Second, only one person really knows about the situation with package
binaries, the person who produces them (equally true for Windows and
for Mac OS X).  And that person does not read R-help, having asked for
such issues to be discussed on R-sig-mac.

I very much doubt that this will be solved this week: the failure of
lme4 in its checks on Mac OS X has been going on for years.

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Armin Goralczyk wrote:

> Dear group,
>
> I have noticed that the MacOS X binary for lme4 is not available on
> CRAN at the moment. I am aware that it may be possible to install from
> source but I am not very familiar with that procedure and would rather
> avoid it. But I need the package for a statistics course next week. So
> can anybody give an update about the situation with the MacOS X
> binaries? Will it be resolved within the next days or should I rather
> install from source (in that case: is my assumption correct that it is
> possible or will it fail (I read the the check log and it seems that
> there is some error ?)

Installation will work but package checking will fail, at least on an
i386 Mac.