[R] Hurst Exponent Estimation

Hans W Borchers hwborchers at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 22 21:23:59 CEST 2010

Spencer Graves <spencer.graves <at> structuremonitoring.com> writes:

>   Have you tried something like the following:
>
> library(sos)
> H <- ???Hurst
> summary(H)
>
>        This identified 50 links in 15 packages, and displayed the
> results in a table in a web browser with links to the best match in the
> best package first.  The "installPackages" and "writeFindFn2xls"
> functions are designed to produce an Excel file with a summary page that
> can help you identify the package that seems to be most actively
> maintained among the relevant packages, as explained in a vignette.
>
>        Hope this helps.
>        Spencer Graves

Dear Spencer,

sometimes I am a bit worried about answers that simply redirect
the requestor to searching the Internet or R sites. It fuels the
impression that experience is not so much asked for nowadays.

Anyway, I looked into the 'fractal' package that comes up in your
search. The same applies here that I said before. For none of the
test series the result of computing H was nearly as accurate as
what 'pengFit' returned.

I really would be interested to hear from others about experiences
with financial times series.

Best, Hans Werner