[R] ODBC with Filemaker

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Feb 26 23:59:18 CET 2010

On Feb 26, 2010, at 12:20 PM, Daniel wrote:

> Hi all,
> anybody get connection with Filemarker 10 for mac?
> How do that?
> I suppose did right, but it is not working.

You need to be sure that you have the current version of R (2.10.1), the current version of the RODBC package (1.3-0), an ODBC driver for Filemaker installed and of course, appropriate environment variables set and configuration files created.

I am not familiar with Filemaker, so you may have to contact their support folks to be sure that you at least have their end of things configured correctly. You want to be sure that you make it clear that you want to connect TO Filemaker using an ODBC connection from an external application. Not that you want to connect FROM Filemaker to an external database application/server (eg. Oracle).

A quick search of the R list archives comes up with at least one indication of success:

  http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/06/01/19111.html

though it is not clear what OS Sean was using.

Another specifically on OSX is here:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2008-July/005169.html

If you need to post follow ups, you are best to post to the R-SIG-DB list. More info here: