[R] Odp: two questions for R beginners

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Fri Feb 26 15:44:44 CET 2010

Petr Pikal wrote:

> For the time being I would say that reshape and factor ordering especially
> with groupedData objects from nlme are still giving me a headache and many
> trials and errors to get desired result.
>
> For documents in the beginning I would vote for Paul Johnsons Rtips. About
> 10 yars ago it was nice collection of several useful Howto's.

Add me for reshape (the base one); the only printed documentation on my
desk. Hadley's Reshape package has tried hard, but was not successful as
plyr.

Factor ordering: yes, definitively, and the risks involved in reordering.
Not, however, groupedData: I was lucky enough to find out rather early that
this was the most confusing feature in nlme, and not required. So my student
script for nlme starts: whenever you read about groupedData, try to forget
it and look for a different example. There is no groupedData in lme4.

And a ++ for Rtips. I never understand, however, why this was possible,
because I know of similar attempts that were blocked because people
complained that "permission was required  for quotes". The early days...

Dieter