[R] Error using update.packages

Göran Broström goran.brostrom at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 10:58:53 CET 2010

I'm updating packages by

$ sudo R --vanilla
> update.packages()

when I (finally) get the error message:

Error in unloadNamespace(pkg_name) :
  name space 'survival' is still used by: 'eha'
* removing '/usr/local/lib64/R/library/survival'
* restoring previous '/usr/local/lib64/R/library/survival'
---------
I have never seen this before. I guess that R at start-up has read my
personal .Rprofile
and it seems to be the case: when I remove it, install.packages()
works as expected.

According to my understanding, the --vanilla flag should make R ignore
.Rprofile, so
what have I missed? Note that sessionInfo() does not report 'eha'.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=sv_SE       LC_NUMERIC=C         LC_TIME=sv_SE
 [4] LC_COLLATE=sv_SE     LC_MONETARY=C        LC_MESSAGES=sv_SE
 [7] LC_PAPER=sv_SE       LC_NAME=C            LC_ADDRESS=C
[10] LC_TELEPHONE=C       LC_MEASUREMENT=sv_SE LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

[1] tcltk_2.10.1 tools_2.10.1

Göran Broström