[R] (linux) display messages in R startup screen

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Feb 11 14:19:56 CET 2010

On 11 February 2010 at 12:08, Wolfgang Raffelsberger wrote:
| I'm maintaining central R installation (Linux) for our institute.  The
| startup screen of R traditionally echoes some messages (starting with "R
| version ...Copyright (C).. The R Foundation for Statistical
| Computing...") and  I'd like to display for example right after these
| messages some other messages about our specific setup, how to contact me
| etc ...
| What would be the best place to add this ?
|
| I've been looking into the bin/ directory (ie /linux/local/lib64/R/bin)
| but I'm not shure about the best place/way for such messages.
| On Windows I've used the etc/Rprofile.site for somehow similar issues,
| but I haven't seen any equivalent on our linux installation.

You can use the same file -- $(R_HOME)/etc/Rprofile.site -- see help(Startup).

For Debian/Ubuntu we also store it in /etc/R/Rprofile.site and soft-link it
back to $(R_HOME)/etc but R only knows the latter location.

Hth, Dirk

--
  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!