[R] Update problem? Rcmdr disappears, won't re-open

briancady413 briancady413 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 21:02:32 CET 2010

WinXP, R 2.10.1

I just updated R, and now have trouble. Perhaps it was the method I used to
keep all the packages.

I copied all the new packages from 2.10.1 back into the 2.10.0 folder, then
copied them and all the others I've previously added from the 2.10.0 folder
and pasted them back into 2.10.1's appropriate folder.

Is this the source of my troubles?

I am trying unsuccessfully to open RcmdrPlugin.IPSUR from within Rcmdr, via
the pulldown tools menu.
It insists I restart Rcmdr, which I let happen, then Rcmdr doesn't restart,
and then I can not restart it using R's package loading function either.

Please excuse the vast amount of text, below - I don't know what is and
isn't relevant.

Brian

R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
Copyright (C) 2009 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> update.packages(ask='graphics')
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> update.packages(ask='graphics')
> update.packages(ask='graphics')
> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
trying URL
'http://software.rc.fas.harvard.edu/mirrors/R/bin/windows/contrib/2.10/HH_2.1-32.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 626388 bytes (611 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 611 Kb

package 'HH' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local
Settings\Temp\RtmpI1Oqkp\downloaded_packages
> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
trying URL
'http://software.rc.fas.harvard.edu/mirrors/R/bin/windows/contrib/2.10/Rcmdr_1.5-4.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 2294413 bytes (2.2 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 2.2 Mb

package 'Rcmdr' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local
Settings\Temp\RtmpI1Oqkp\downloaded_packages
> local({pkg <- select.list(sort(.packages(all.available = TRUE)))
+ if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})

Rcmdr Version 1.5-4

Attaching package: 'Rcmdr'

        The following object(s) are masked from package:tcltk :

         tclvalue

Error in closeCommander(ask = FALSE) : object 'response' not found
> local({pkg <- select.list(sort(.packages(all.available = TRUE)))
+ if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})
> library(Rcmdr)
> quit(Rcmdr)
Error in quit(Rcmdr) : object 'Rcmdr' not found
> library(Rcmdr)
> q(Rcmdr)
Error in q(Rcmdr) : object 'Rcmdr' not found
> ls()
character(0)