[R] Missing names in LMER and GLM

vickih vicki.hodgetts at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 20:27:26 CET 2010

I'm having trouble with 'lmer' and would really appreciate it if anybody
could help.

I am trying to run generalized linear mixed effect model, and am using
'lmer', but some of the names inside the data do not show up in the summary
after I compute the 'lmer'. As a close example of the data I have, the
objects are

Calls = MM, MB, MM, MM, MN, MNX, MNX, ...
      -this is made up of MM, MB, MN and MNX
passes = 3, 5, 1, 6, 3, 6, 3, ...
      - this is made up of integer values, each corresponding to either MM,
MB, MN or MNX as in Calls
Night = 1, 4, 5, 2, 4, 1, ...
     - this is made up of integers from 1 to 5, and is a random variable

The command I use is
LMER1 <- lmer(passes ~ Calls + (1|Night), family=Poisson, data=importeddata)

My problem is that when I then do 'summary(LMER1)' I get some missing
values,
for example, myfixed effects are:

   CallsMM       71.24     14.24    ...etc
   CallsMB        ....        ....         ...
   CallsMN       ...           ..          ..
                                        (the dots ... mean that there is a
number there)
However, CallsMNX is not there!
I have had the same problem with GLM as well.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?
I hope my post has been clear enough. Thanks in advance for your help.