[R] Optimize multiple variable sets

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Mon Dec 6 18:42:44 CET 2010

Let us look at the objective function:

f(x) = x^2 + Si * x, where Si is the sum of the i-th column.  This function
has a stationary point at x = -Si/2, and the second derivative is 2, so it
is a minimum.

Now, the column sums of your data matrix are all positive.  So, your minimum
has to be negative, but your interval does not contain that.  So, your
results are wrong.

Here is the correct approach:

data<-matrix(c(1,1,1, 2,2,2, 3,3,3, 4,4,4), nrow=3, ncol=4)

c<-dim(data)[2]

results<-vector(length=c)

for (i in 1:c){

f<-function(x){

x^2+x*sum(data[,i])

}

results[i]<-optimize(f,int=c(-10,10), tol=1.e-07)$min

} #

results

all.equal(results, -colSums(data)/2)

Hope this helps,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology School of Medicine Johns
Hopkins University

Ph. (410) 502-2619
email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu