[R] Fwd: [R-sig-hpc] Holtman's levelplot ?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Aug 24 22:49:30 CEST 2010

On Aug 24, 2010, at 2:56 PM, Michel Lutz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As recommended by N. Gunther, I'm writing you because I have some
> difficulties to create a script to track computer performance, as
> done in
> Holtman, 2005 (Visualization techniques for analysing patterns in
> system
> performance).
>
> I would like to do a leveplot, with the kind of file here enclosed.

Nope. You probably did not read all the way to the end of the Posting
Guide to see what kinds of attachments are allowed on this list.

> I assume I should create a matrix in R, then use the function 'image'.

Maybe. There is an image function for base graphics:

?image

First example is very similar to the first example in levelplot. They
have very similar data layout requirements.

> As I am not familiar with the lattice package, I have some
> difficulties to
> move ahead : I think my pb is in the creation of the matrix. I am
> not able
> to create sthing consistent with the image function. I am even
> thinking I
> should build my input csv file differently, but I am not sure how to
> do...
>
> Is someone able to help me ?

Given Jim's propensity to finish his emails with "What problem are you
trying to solve", let me beat him to the punch. What's you data layout
look like and what do you want the plot to look like? If you can
convert that file to plain text and make sure its file extension
is .txt, it will probably make it through if you resend it.

You can get some other ideas for specifics by running the first
example on the levelplot help page:

?levelplot

Lattice graphic do not mix well with base graphics so you need to keep
them segregated in your plotting kitchen if you want to remain r-kosher.

--
David.

> Thank you very much !
>
> REgards,