[R] Need help on heatmap, K-means and hhierarchical clustering methods

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Mon Aug 9 03:52:01 CEST 2010

On 08/08/2010 08:36 PM, meetsiddu1 wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am new to the R software. I have been going through different materials to
> know more about R.
> I have the R software installed on my windows machine.I would like to know
> the R source code for the following problems on iris flower data set.
>
> I need to do the cluster analysis project with the iris data set. The goal
> is to cluster the flowers
> according to their Sepal.Length, Sepal.Width, Petal.Length, and Petal.Width
> information. Eventually we want to see whether they fall into three
> clusters, which
> corresponds to the three species. and complete the following questions.
>
> a. Make a heat map of the above dissimilarity matrix(iris data).
> b. Cluster the iris data using K-Means methods with k=3
> c. Cluster the iris data using an hierarchical clustering method of your
> choice.
> Plot the related dendrogram. Use the R functions hclust()and dist() (as well
> as function daisy())
>
> I am new to this forum as well. I hope you guys help out in finishing this
> project.

This sounds like homework.  The list is not supposed to help with homework. The
analyses seem fairly straight-forward.  If you have any more specific questions
that are genuine sticking points, feel free to ask.  But it appears you haven't
even tried to answer these questions on your own. What have you tried?