[R] read SAS dataset using read.ssd()

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Tue Aug 3 09:43:49 CEST 2010

Peter is right that the file isn't found because of the extension.  SAS datasets with a .ssd01 extension were created on a UNIX system (or maybe a MAC) and are not readable in the usual manner on a Windows system.  Renaming the file is not going to work.  The .ssd01 file needs to be converted to a transport file on the system on which it was originally created.  Then it can be read using read.xport() from the foreign package.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA 98504-5204