[R] rJava (installation?) problem: unable to find the basic String class

Piotr Chmielowski piotr.chmielowski at reechaim.com
Wed Apr 28 17:25:49 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have experienced the following problem after installing rJava (it
being a prerequisite for another package in which I am relly
interested). Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated:

OS: Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3, have Java 6 Update 20 from Sun,
also installed the JDK from
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp (or at least I suspect
I installed it as it asked to re-boot the machine - how would I
actually check?)

After installing package rJava, in R:
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] rJava_0.8-3

[1] tools_2.11.0

> require(rJava)
> .jinit()
Error in .jinit() : unable to find the basic String class

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Piotr