[R] using double loops and saving the data

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Apr 12 06:20:29 CEST 2010

On Apr 11, 2010, at 8:23 PM, ChinChin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am the first R user, I have met some problem and I am seeking for
> help.
>
> I am estimating the wealth of a shareholder.
> First, I simulated 10000 set of price, each set of price contains 5200
> prices which reflect the price goes up and down through out the year.
>
> Price  # consists of all set the price
>
> After that, I use each set of price to calculate the wealth for each
> sample
> (10000) and save the data in a character, so, I do this :
>
> q <- 0.9
> Wealth <- list()
> for (s in 1:10000) {
> for (i in 1:5200){
> Ca[i+1] <- Cash(i,q,Price[[s]][i+1])

I am guessing that the first time through when i= 5200 that i+1 is
indexing an entry that does not exist. What does str( Price[[1]]
[5200+1] ) return? What about str(Ca)?

> Sh[i+1] <- Share(i,q,Price[[s]][i+1])
> Po[i+1] <- Position(i,q,Price[[s]][i+1])
> Wealth[[s]][i] <- Ca[i+1]+Po[i+1]
> }}
>
> *note = Ca, Sh, and Po are the vectors with length of 5200,

So what is supposed to happen when you try "Ca[5200+1] <- "... anything?

> and the Cash,
> Share and Position are functions that I created by myself. I am very
> sure
> that these can be work properly.
> Ca, Sh and Po will change when it use difference set of price ( I
> think).
>
> After I run them, it gave the error message: Error in `*tmp*`[[s]] :
> subscript out of bounds
>
> I could run all this when I had just 1 set of price :
> for (i in 1:5200){
> Ca[i+1] <- Cash(i,q,Price[i+1])

Really?   I thought you said you had 5200 entries in Price?

> Sh[i+1] <- Share(i,q,Price[i+1])
> Po[i+1] <- Position(i,q,Price[i+1])
> Wealth[[s]][i] <- Ca[i+1]+Po[i+1]
> }
>
> So, I wonder the error occurs on that I use the double loops in
> improper way
> or the data I save in incorrect way.

You need to read the error message. And you need to offer better
information about the objects you are working with.

--
David.