[R] logistic regression in an incomplete dataset

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 6 01:29:05 CEST 2010

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Desmond D Campbell wrote:

> Dear Emmanuel,
>
> Thank you.
>
> Yes I broadly agree with what you say.
> I think ML is a better strategy than complete case, because I think its
> estimates will be more robust than complete case.
> For unbiased estimates I think
>  ML requires the data is MAR,
>  complete case requires the data is MCAR
>
> Anyway I would have thought ML could be done without resorting to Multiple
> Imputation, but I'm at the edge of my knowledge here.

This is an illustration of why Rubin's hierarchy, while useful, doesn't displace actual thinking about the problem.

The maximum-likelihood problem for which the MAR assumption is sufficient involves specifying the joint likelihood for the outcome and all predictor variables, which is basically the same problem as multiple imputation.  Multiple imputation averages the estimate over the distribution of the unknown values; maximum likelihood integrates out the unknown values, but for reasonably large sample sizes the estimates will be equivalent (by asymptotic linearity of the estimator).  Standard error calculation is probably easier with multiple imputation.

Also, it is certainly not true that a complete-case regression analysis requires MCAR.  For example, if the missingness is independent of Y given X, the complete-case distribution will have the same mean of Y given X  as the population and so will have the same best-fitting regression.   This is a stronger assumption than you need for multiple imputation, but not a lot stronger.

         -thomas