[R] How to split data for NMDS plots

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Apr 4 22:25:45 CEST 2010

On Apr 4, 2010, at 3:50 PM, Trey wrote:

> I have a data matrix that contains site data for paired infested and
> control
> plots.  For example:
>       ab     ac  ad af ag ah
> 1     .024   x   x   x   x   x
> 2     .9      x   x   x   x   x
> 3     1.5    x   x   x   x   x
> 4     2.3    x   x   x   x   x
> 5     1.0    x   x   x   x   x
> 1c    .75   x   x   x   x   x
> 2c    2.1   x   x   x   x   x
> 3c    1.7   x   x   x   x   x
> 4c    10.2 x   x   x   x   x
> 5c    2.1   x   x   x   x   x

Well, after reading with read table and textConnection, it's not a
"data.matrix" but this was a dataframe:

  dta$infect <- grepl("c", row.names(dta))

 > dta
        ab ac ad af ag ah infect
1   0.024  x  x  x  x  x  FALSE
2   0.900  x  x  x  x  x  FALSE
3   1.500  x  x  x  x  x  FALSE
4   2.300  x  x  x  x  x  FALSE
5   1.000  x  x  x  x  x  FALSE
1c  0.750  x  x  x  x  x   TRUE
2c  2.100  x  x  x  x  x   TRUE
3c  1.700  x  x  x  x  x   TRUE
4c 10.200  x  x  x  x  x   TRUE
5c  2.100  x  x  x  x  x   TRUE

(I did not like the way plot.formula handled the logical variable
infect so I "factorized it.)

  plot(ab ~ as.factor(infect), data=dta)